Redrow London, developers of 500 Chiswick High Road, kindly let us come in to salvage any of the plants we wanted before the office block gets knocked down in a couple of weeks.
Abundance London put out the word, and co-ordinated the response. Charities, community groups and local schools were allowed to have the plants for free; any businesses which wanted any were invited (admittedly very bluntly!) to offer a donation to the work of Abundance.
This is what happened to the plants:
– the variegated and bronze yuccas have gone to Chiswick School, to the West Chiswick & Gunnersbury Society (WCGS) for use elsewhere on the High Road, and to a little beauty business under the Chiswick arches who will give Abundance a donation for them.
– the bamboo from the little house has gone to Chiswick School
– the patio heater from the little house has gone to the local Chiswick Horticultural Society
– some bits of wood and pallets have gone to a local gardening business who will give Abundance a donation
– the ornamental grasses are going half to Hammersmith Community Gardening Association and half to be dug in pending eventual destination in another community garden
– the irrigation piping from the roof is going to Cultivate London to help irrigate their polytunnels
– the red-berried bushes are going to WCGS for replanting on the High Road. Enjoy-Work Chiswick Business Park have kindly said they will look after them for WCGS until the destination is sorted.